Thursday, February 8, 2018

Intro

The Becker Knife History Project. 



I wanted to give a little introduction and background to this project. This has been a labor of love. I’m not sure why I started it, but it has been my “I can’t sleep” project for a very long time now. I am one of those crazies that saves and screen shots history, information, or any cool facts. I steal all your cool photos of prototypes and specials and save them to my own hard drive collection of history. 

To my readers. I don't know you and you don't know me. I didn't create this for attention or to step on the toes of others.This has been an almost therapeutic thing for me. I did it for me, you are only secondary. I don't see myself sharing the creation of this archive (or any posts from this blog) in any of my usual internet travel spots. If it's found, wonderful, but it wont be on any of my own personal pages. 

I was always looking for more info and most of the time the questions go unanswered. I wanted to assemble this collection of knowledge so when a new Becker owner wants to know something trivial like why his Camillus bk2 has a leather sheath and not the standard. Of course he will ask whether it’s legit, this document can answer that. Lots of questions like that are asked and always left with a small amount of truth and a small amount of ambiguity. 

I've had a few wonderful opportunities to pick the brain of the man himself: Ethan Becker. I can't say enough how nice of a guy he is. The problem is, a lot of my stupid questions about the past and history even Ethan can't answer to a full degree of certainty. In the old days some liberties were taken without Ethan's knowledge during the manufacturing of his knives. It seems to always leave a shadow of mystery over a lot of topics. 

I tried to be as unbiased as possible in the writing of the four main pages. However, I failed. It's obvious my opinion bleeds through in some areas. I apologize for that and I hope it does not distract from the integrity of this.

Everything in this document is, to my understanding, true. I have references (mostly screen shots or web links) for most every definitive fact. Some things are factually assumed, but assumed none the less. If I'm wrong on something and you can prove it LET ME KNOW! Not just for me, but for anyone else who may stumble across this. I want this to be as correct as possible. 

The photos used for this history project are not all mine. I have searched high and low and exhausted Google images. The photos were picked for many reasons, one being quality. Another important reason was if it showed the original sheaths and/or box (This was more imperative to me when it came to the older models no longer available). Basically if your photo showed whatever special characteristic I wanted to show with that particular blade I used it. If you are the original owner of any of these photos and you want me to take it down or give you credit, let me know. I will be working a photo citation sheet soon. Update 9/23/18 I am happy to say the vast majority of the photos on here are mine and not mixed and match from all over the internet. I am also happy to say that for the most part all the photos that are not mine have been citied to who actually owns them. Im sure I've missed some so let me know if I have.

This project of mine has consumed many hours of my life. Hunting down photos, finding the right dates, and dealing with the Photobucket fiasco. On top of all that, the forum update on Bladeforums left all the linked pages dead. I just hope that by sharing this document it will prove helpful or interesting to those who find it.

So far this includes four parts based on the four main manufactures of Becker knives. I have plans for more and would also like to include some more of my archived history of photos and screen shots I've gathered over the years. Keep in mind this was originally one big word document. It was broken down into parts to make it more blog friendly. 

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog while searching for "Becker BK62". I'm addicted to Becker knives and interested in everything related to Ethan. I have 50 Becker knives, at least two of every blade model currently sold and multiples of certain models, plus a Brute. I'm now collecting older Becker blades, those with stamped-in logo and/or model #. Your blog is fascinating. Thank you! I will read every posting. Keep up the good work!! I think I need to purchase the new BK62 to feed the addiction..

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I just stumbled across this blog and I just want to say thank you. This is a treasure, I know it's a project you're doing for you, but thank you so much for sharing. -- Beckerhead #54 :D

    ReplyDelete